background

Wednesday 21 September 2011

Carrot Ginger Soup

The last few days have coaxed me into a fall mood as temperatures have started dropping during the night and we are waking up to lovely crisp mornings. With this change in season I have begun to crave warmer, wholesome and nourishing foods. I did a quick search on Google to find a yummy blended soup that I, Jobie, and the kids would all appreciate. I found a simple soup that seemed fitting and then did some slight adjustments to my liking. I've added turmeric as it really is a wonder spice, helping to detoxify the liver, balance cholesterol levels, fight allergies, stimulate digestion, boost immunity, and enhances one's complexion :) (http://www.turmeric.co.in/turmeric_ayurvedic_use.htm)


I would say that this soup was a hit and I think all three kids would agree! Here's what you need:

10 carrots
1 onion
2 cups cooked chicken, pulled or diced
4 cups chicken broth (preferably homemade, which I may blog about at a later date)
2 tbs minced ginger
3 bay leaves
3 cloves garlic
1/4 tsp-1 tbsp turmeric
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Chop carrots into medium sized chunks and bring to boil in chicken broth with minced ginger. Boil until carrots are tender. Pour mixture into a blender/food processor.

Chop onion and saute with garlic and turmeric until transparent. Add mixture to blender. Blend until smooth.

Pour blended carrot/onion mixture into a saucepan and add pulled chicken, salt and pepper to desired liking. Stir and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Add more chicken broth if desired.

Serve and enjoy (with fresh bread if desired)!!

I hope this small yummy comfort will warm your bellies and your heart on a cold winter day :) (not that it's winter yet but you know it's a comin'!)

Terra xoxo

2 comments: