background

Monday 19 September 2011

Sister 4 Life

A little bit of a delay in my post, but better late than never is what i always say.

I don't even know where to start, but find it an honor to have sisters and despite how life glides by, to feel the love an acceptance from women such as these fills my heart.

I am sitting here trying to think of what would be interesting to write, I have quite a few projects going on in my life currently. For the past 15 years I have worked in some capacity with Canada's Aboriginal Communities, more recently in the past year I have finally started my own company called 'Our imagi'NATION' (www.oination.com) and have written/directed and produced a play called Beneath the Surface about Suicide amongst First Nations Youth. Along with my cast of 8 we have toured throughout BC and more recently have been approached by the School Board to bring it into highschools. I also have a contract in which i run workshops with street youth and am working on a documentary project with them. Needless to say, I have been a really busy girl.

All this work that I do is so humbling, but I have realized too, that my life and my home needs to be in order and priority if I am going to do anything great. This summer the kids and I took up fishing and made it our mission to find the best fishing lakes in our area,.. In all our ventures we only caught one tiny one, but to see the kids faces and their excitement made me realize it really is the simple things in life that matter.

Parenting is such a gift, one I cherish more than anything else that I do, My kids remind me daily of my shortcomings which only drives me to dig deeper within myself to become a healthy woman, one they can look upon as a hero.
It really does suck to be imperfect. Who wants to have flaws, bad habits etc.? After having worked through some of my 'stuff' with my counselor recently, I came to realize that all of that junk that I see and hate, is stuff that has brought me to where I am at now, and all I can do is continue to strive to be the best I can, as a mother, a lover, a prevention worker, writer, singer, actor, director and business owner. So as this fall gently rolls in and this season change is in full swing, I am challenging myself to continue to work towards the 4 Agreements.

agreement 1

Be impeccable with your word - Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.

agreement 2

Don’t take anything personally - Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.

agreement 3

Don’t make assumptions - Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.

agreement 4

Always do your best - Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse and regret.


With that I will sign off, and start thinking on my next brilliant blog.
So much love to my sisters!!!
XO



4 comments:

  1. wonderful, i already feel like i know you better!! look forward to more posts

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your post jen, and i really love the 4 agreements. definite food for thought for everyday. to be conscious and aware is half the battle! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!!! Jen Thanks for writing, so happy to hear/read your voice ;-) So where do "the agreements" come from?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don Miguel Ruiz. They are Toltec teachings of old. Wisdom in my opinion,.. There is something to learn from all cultures and walks of life... such beauty out there to glean from.

    xox Jen

    ReplyDelete