background

Sunday 4 September 2011

Why the world needs wine lovers

I need to start by saying that I am not a wine lover, I'm a wannabe wine lover!
I'm envious of people who derive so much pleasure from liquid. Anyone can drink a glass of wine and enjoy it, but someone who is passionate about wine, now that's another story.
So the question is how do you recognize a true wine lover?

A true wine lover will pour some red wine into a wine glass and after taking the smallest sip (no more than a tablespoons worth) they will look like they are about pass out! then after 5 seconds or so they come to and instantly reach for the bottle and start examining the label intently (I have no idea what they are looking for?).

A true wine lover, loves to taste in the company of friends and can spend Literally hours talking exclusively about wine, wine regions, the difference between a Merlot and a Cabernet Sauvignon. They talk about wine that they hope to purchase, wine that they have purchased and the occasion that went with it.
Wine lovers usually love cheese's as well (the smelly sock kind).

I know of wine lovers who have collections of empty bottles that they have saved especially, because when they look at each bottle it reminds them of significant conversations and experiences that accompanied the drinking of the fine grape that was inside.
Above all a true wine lover wants to share the experience and doesn't want to drink alone because it's the connection to a friend that makes the wine richer. They have a generosity of heart, if there was only one bottle of wine left in the world I am almost certain that they would choose to share it rather that drink it alone.

So you may ask why does the world need wine lovers? and here is my argument (I can only talk from my observations)
All the wine lovers I have know have the same quality and that is that they know how to enjoy LIFE. These special people have tapped into the 'essence' of what it means to appreciate the sacred here on earth. They have a deep understanding about the goodness of God.
It's not the wine itself that that matters here, it's the type of person that is a wine lover that is worth examining because these people have something to say, something about the nature of God, they truly know that God is good. How can a God who created wine and smelly cheese not be good?

(Abigail)

3 comments:

  1. Love this post Abi :) I have a feeling our dear Joseph is one of these wine lovers, maybe that's why we love him so! T xo (ps my post/intro coming soon!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. me too Abi, well written.... we need to find a way to say who is posting. I'm guessing it won't always be clear :-)
    I'd love to send this post to a bunch of my friends but will wait a bit. We have a gal in CA who has her own wine tasting business in the Provence in France. I've asked her to find a place for us to stay for our Mallett vacation. Joseph will love her :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. good point, i must remember to sign my name, just done it

    ReplyDelete